Communications & Technology

Cross-boundary Driving

Find out the general requirements for driving across the boundary and the steps one should take for applying the required licences and permits.

Self-drive to Guangdong Province

This article introduce the the application procedures of the “Ad Hoc Quota Trial Scheme for Cross Boundary Private Car” and the related travel information and points to note.

Land-based Cross Boundary Transport

There are six major land crossings in Hong Kong. Four of them (Shenzhen Bay Port, Lok Ma Chau, Man Kam To and Sha Tau Kok) are road-based land crossings, while the other two (Lo Wu and Lok Ma Chau Spur Line) are rail-based. Cross-boundary passengers can also take MTR Intercity Through Trains and cross the boundary at the Hung Hom Control Point.

Ferry Services to Macau and the Mainland Ports

Find out a list of companies providing ferry services between Hong Kong, Macau and the Mainland here. Hotlines, boarding and destination terminals and links to the companies are featured. A link to the website on cross boundary ferry services is also available which allows you to acquire the real-time berthing information of HK-Macao and HK-Mainland China passenger vessels at ease.

Application for Closed Road Permits for access to boundary control points

You need a permit to drive in restricted areas including control points between Hong Kong and the Mainland like Lok Ma Chau, Huanggang or Shenzhen Bay Port. Download the application form here for Closed Road Permits to access the boundary control points.

Online Application for Ad Hoc Quotas for Cross Boundary Private Cars

You can experience self-driving to the Guangdong Province via the Shenzhen Bay Port by submitting application anytime with the online service provided by the Transport Department.

Application for a Mainland Driving Licence

Holder of a valid Hong Kong full driving licence can apply for a Mainland driving licence for small vehicle and motorcycle. Application must be made in person in one of the Vehicle Administration Office in Guangdong. More application details are available here.

Last review date: September 2017