Identity Cards and Right of Abode

Identity Cards and Right of Abode

Hong Kong Identity Cards

General Information on Hong Kong Identity Cards

Read general information about Hong Kong identity cards, including types, eligibility or exemption for application and the obligations of cardholders.

Registration / Replacement of a Hong Kong Identity Card

Learn how you can apply for or replace a juvenile or adult identity card, or apply to amend the information on your identity card.

Application for Certificate of Registered Particulars / Certificate of Exemption

Learn how to apply for Certificate of Registered Particulars or Certificate of Exemption.

Online Appointment Booking for Hong Kong Smart Identity Card

You can make an appointment online for submitting application for registration / replacement of Hong Kong smart identity card at Registration of Persons Offices.

Frequently Asked Questions

Read the answers to some frequently asked questions regarding Hong Kong identity cards.

Fees Payable

Look for the fees applicable to individual application related to Hong Kong identity cards.

Registration of Persons Offices

Find the addresses, working hours and locations of Registration of Persons Offices here.

Information on the Smart Identity Card

Learn about the types of smart identity card, their physical features and the benefits of using your card, obligation of an identity card holder, how your personal data is protected and Frequently Asked Questions about the smart identity card.

Right of Abode

General Information on the Right of Abode in Hong Kong

Check out this general guide that explains who may enjoy the right of abode in Hong Kong.

Verification of Right of Abode in Hong Kong

Find out how one can apply to verify if he/she enjoys the right of abode in Hong Kong, including what documents one needs to submit.

Online Services for Verification of Eligibility for Permanent Identity Card

You can make online submissions on application for verification of eligibility for permanent identity card, submit supplementary documents for your application, or change/make enquires on a scheduled appointment for document verification. Find out more about the online services here.

Frequently Asked Questions about Right of Abode

Find answers to the most frequently asked questions about right of abode in Hong Kong.

Fees for Right of Abode-related Applications

Application for the verification of eligibility and the first issue of permanent identity card is free. Check out the fee for making an endorsement to a travel document ( applicable for applicants aged under 11 holding valid travel documents only ) here.

Submission of Right of Abode-related Applications

Find the office address and working hours of ROA Section of Immigration Department.

Application for Certificate of Entitlement

Application for Certificate of Entitlement to the Right of Abode in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region

Person of Chinese nationality who was born outside Hong Kong may apply for a Certificate of Entitlement if his parent, who at the time of his birth, was a Chinese citizen and a permanent resident in Hong Kong. Find out more about the eligibility, application process, relevant information, etc. here.

Last review date: February 2014
Found this page helpful?
Your feedback is highly appreciated.
Notice: This form is NOT intended for handling enquiries or complaints. For assistance, please contact the 24-hour Helpdesk at (852) 183 5500 or email to .
Thank you. Your input will only be  used to improve GovHK.