Getting Married

Getting married is an important event in a couple's life. To celebrate this special occasion, you may need to go through some planning and preparations. Here are the information and services the Government offers to the engaged and newly weds, including pre-marital services, marriage registration and honeymoon travel advice.

Deciding to Get Married

Marriage is about merging of two lifestyles and families, building intimacy and maintaining a committed relationship. The Family Planning Association of Hong Kong offers pre-marital counselling to prepare couples for the challenges of living together, enriching their personal growth and relationships, and building sexual intimacy.

More on pre-marital counselling (available in Chinese only)

The Association also provides Pre-marital Package Service for to-be-weds, including health assessment, sexual health education and laboratory tests, to ensure the health of the couples and their future offspring.

More on Pre-marital Package Service

Registering Your Marriage

Once you decided to get married, don't forget to register your marriage. You should give notice of your intended marriage to the marriage registries either directly or through a civil celebrant of marriages before your wedding. You can book an appointment to give your notice of intended marriage either online or using a touch-tone phone at 3102 3883.

More on registering a marriageOnline appointment booking for giving of notice of intended marriage

Besides celebrating your marriage at a marriage registry or in a licensed place of public worship, you can choose to celebrate your marriage in any other place in Hong Kong by a civil celebrant. Check out tips on engaging a civil celebrant of marriages, the list of appointed civil celebrants as well as wedding venues provided by the Leisure and Cultural Services Department on the links below.

Information Leaflet for the Marrying Parties (pdf file)List of appointed civil celebrants of marriages (pdf file)Wedding venues provided by the Leisure and Cultural Services Department

Honeymoon Travel

While both of you are expecting a romantic getaway after your wedding, remember to prepare the necessary travel documents for travelling outside Hong Kong. You also need to check if the country you are going to has granted visa-free access.

More on HKSAR travel documents

Useful information for planning your honeymoon overseas, such as joining tours of travel agents and assistance provided for residents outside Hong Kong, can be found on the link below.

Travelling outside Hong Kong

Changing Personal Particulars of Hong Kong Identity Card

For brides who want to change their registered name on their Hong Kong identity card, such as changing their surname into their husbands’, they can apply for amendment of registered particulars of Hong Kong identity card.

More on amendment of registered particulars of Hong Kong identity card

Paying Tax

As for paying tax, in general you will be entitled to married person’s allowance if you get married during the year of assessment and your spouse has no income chargeable to salaries tax. If your spouse has salary income, you may enjoy the benefit of tax savings if you elect joint assessment.

More on married person's allowanceMore on joint assessment for married couples

Important Notice

Service suspension of Cotton Tree Drive Marriage Registry
for air-conditioning system replacement works

Services of the Cotton Tree Drive Marriage Registry will be suspended from 5 to 29 April 2017 for undergoing air-conditioning system replacement works. During the service suspension period of the Cotton Tree Drive Marriage Registry, the nearby City Hall Marriage Registry will enhance the marriage solemnisation related services accordingly. Marrying parties wishing to celebrate their marriage at marriage registries may also choose to use the marriage solemnisation service at other marriage registries, including Tsim Sha Tsui Marriage Registry, Sha Tin Marriage Registry and Tuen Mun Marriage Registry. Members of the public wishing to apply for search of marriage records, certified copies of marriage certificates or certificates of absence of marriage record may submit the applications to the abovementioned four marriage registries and the Marriage Registration and Records Office in Admiralty, or by post or through the internet.

Besides, for applicants who have opted the Cotton Tree Drive Marriage Registry for collection of the results in respect of applications for search of marriage records, the certified copies of marriage certificate and certificates of absence of marriage record, they may approach the Marriage Registration and Records Office in Admiralty during the former’s service suspension period to collect these results there.

Last review date: March 2015