The Benefits, Rules and Techniques of Sports
Staying physically active is good for your body and mind. Learn about how to exercise to yield the most benefits, and where you can go for sporting activities.
Benefits of Exercise
An accumulation of 30 minutes of physical activities of moderate intensity (can be in sessions of at least 10 minutes each) every day persistently, depending on your physical condition, can bring you the following benefits:
- strengthening your body immunity, reducing the chance of getting sick and enhancing work efficiency;
- burning calories to help you maintain a healthy body weight;
- improving your cardiopulmonary functions and blood circulation;
- strengthening your muscles and reducing the risk of osteoporosis;
- enhancing the mobility and flexibility of joints to lower the risk of injuries and falls;
- reducing the risk of developing cardiovascular disease, hypertension, stroke and diabetes mellitus, and preventing some types of cancer (e.g. colorectal cancer);
- relieving stress, boosting confidence and improving mental health; and
- helping you broaden your social circle by participating more in group exercises.
The "Healthy Exercise for All Campaign" aims to raise the public's interest in exercising and to encourage citizens to exercise daily. The campaign is jointly organised by the Leisure and Cultural Services Department (LCSD) and the Department of Health (DH).More on "Healthy Exercise for All Campaign"
People with disability can benefit from exercise too. Check out the exercises recommended for the disabled on the following link.Fitness programmes for persons with disabilities
Types of Exercise
Despite our busy life, we should make exercise a habit. There is a wide range of exercise. For a start, choose the type of exercise that you find interesting and motivating. Exercise can be classified into three main categories according to their health benefits.
Cardiorespiratory Endurance Exercise
You can try cardiovascular exercises such as swimming, hiking, walking, cycling, jogging, stair climbing, aerobic dance, etc.
Muscle Strengthening Exercise
Weight training exercises such as fitness (multi-gym) and dumbbell lifting can strengthen your muscles and tone your body shape.
Static stretching exercises for different parts of the body can improve the mobility of joints and relax your muscles.
To know more about physical activity and calorie expenditure, you can check out the link below.
Enjoy the Sports Now
You may enjoy your solitude by doing exercise alone, or get together with your family and friends by participating in sports games. While playing sports outdoors refresh your mind by natural scenery, indoor sports allow you to play anytime you want, forgetting about the weather!
To know more about various sports and their rules, check out the link below. You can also refer to the relevant sports associations for more information.Sports rulesSports associations in Hong Kong
Recreation and Sports Programmes
To get started, you can join one of the recreation and sports programmes organised by the LCSD. Most of them are offered at a nominal fee and some are free for the elderly.
Check out the community recreation and sports programmes at the following link.
Sports Facilities and Events
There are also a wide range of sports facilities open for the public, including soccer pitches, tennis courts, and badminton courts. You can book the facilities online with the Leisure Link Internet Booking Service.
Enthusiastic sports fans can also join in the major sports events hosted in Hong Kong.More on sports events in Hong Kong
To get the most out of exercise, you have to take proper measures to ensure your safety and avoid getting hurt.
Before exercising, you should:
- choose the clothing that is comfortable and suitable for the weather, e.g. clothes made of cotton;
- wear shoes that are suitable for the exercise and fit properly, especially at the toe and heel;
- not exercise on an empty stomach or when you are too full;
- remember to do warm up exercises for around 10 to 15 minutes;
- make sure your exercise is suited to your physical strength.
Sports injuries such as wounds on the skin, muscle cramps, tearing of joints or sprained ankles can happen. Learn about what to do when you are injured.Common sports injuries and management