Getting a Divorce

This article tells you about what you need to go through when you are getting a divorce and support services for the persons involved.

When You are Troubled in Marriage

Before you come to a decision of getting divorced, counselling can help you discuss your problems, learn the skills to work out conflicts and get to know the options ahead of you. Counselling and referral service is provided by Integrated Family Service Centres/Integrated Services Centres, for individuals and families in need.

Integrated Family Services from the Social Welfare Department/ Non-governmental Organisations

When You Opt for a Divorce

The following link provides you with useful information on how to apply for a divorce to the court, such as forms to fill in, details of the proceedings and whether you should hire a lawyer.

How to apply for a divorce

You will also find it helpful to seek legal advice and assistance in the proceedings. You can learn how to apply for legal aid, seek legal advice or hire a lawyer to represent you from the article below.

How to get legal advice and assistance

When you and your spouse encounter difficulties in coordinating the care and contact arrangement of your children in the process of separation/divorce, you can seek assistance from social workers of the Specialised Co-parenting Support Centres.

Specialised Co-parenting Support Centres

Other Support from the Government

Couples who are currently living in Public Rental Housing (PRH) flats should approach the Housing Department (HD) for housing arrangements after they have finalised the divorce proceedings. The HD may grant the tenancy of the current flat to either party, or allocate an additional flat to the divorcees, depending on their means, custody of the children, and individual circumstances.

Housing arrangements for divorced couples

Assistance on education is also provided for children from single-parent or broken families.

Kindergarten and Child Care Centre Fee Remission Scheme
Found this page helpful?
Found this page helpful?
Your feedback is highly appreciated. (Optional)
Notice: This form is NOT intended for handling enquiries or complaints. For assistance, please contact the 24-hour Helpdesk at (852) 183 5500 or email to
Thank you. Your input will only be used to improve GovHK.
Last review date: March 2021