Property Owner's Tax Obligations

If you have derived rental income from letting properties situated in Hong Kong, you should fulfil your tax obligations. Here you can learn more about the tax obligations of a property owner.

Tax Obligations as a Property Owner

As a property owner, you need to:

  • keep sufficient records of rent received, such as lease agreements and duplicates of rental receipts, receipts for payment of rates, correspondence relating to modification of lease terms and recovery of rent in arrears, for at least 7 years;
  • complete and submit a tax return for reporting rental income;
  • notify liability to tax unless you have already received the tax return from the Inland Revenue Department;
  • notify cessation of ownership within 1 month of such cessation;
  • notify change of address within 1 month of change; and
  • pay your tax.

Visit the following links for more information on property owner’s tax obligations:

Time limit for notification of chargeabilityExamples of obligation to notify liability to taxNotification of change of postal addressInformation about recovery of tax-in-arrears

If you receive a tax return from the Inland Revenue Department, you must complete and submit it in time even if you do not have any rental income from the property.

Found this page helpful?
Found this page helpful?
Your feedback is highly appreciated. (Optional)
Notice: This form is NOT intended for handling enquiries or complaints. For assistance, please contact the 24-hour Helpdesk at (852) 183 5500 or email to
Thank you. Your input will only be used to improve GovHK.
Last revision date: April 2024
Health & Medical Services Close Button Health & Medical Services