Aircraft Noise, Neighbourhood Noise & Noise from Commercial & Industrial Premises

Noise from aircraft and other non-construction sources is carefully managed in Hong Kong. On this page you will learn about the efforts to manage and reduce aircraft noise at one of the world's busiest airports, what is being done to control noise from domestic residences, public areas, and commercial and industrial premises, and what you can do to help.

Aircraft Noise

The Government is conscious of the noise impact that aircraft operations may have on local communities and has implemented a number of aircraft noise mitigation measures with the aim of alleviating the noise impact caused by these aircraft, including:

  • The preferential use of runways and flight paths at night to avoid overflying densely populated areas as much as possible.
  • Noise abatement departure and approach procedures.
  • The prohibition of noisy aircraft from operating at the Airport.

Besides, airlines are encouraged to introduce newer models of aircraft to replace the older ones, and deploying quieter aircraft for night time operations.

Aircraft noise and flight tracks are monitored around the clock by the Aircraft Noise and Flight Track Monitoring System, which comprises 16 noise monitoring terminals installed at various areas under or near landing and take-off flight paths.

More on aircraft noise management

Neighbourhood Noise

Noise from domestic residences and public places is carefully managed under the Noise Control Ordinance. Many sources of domestic noise that can cause problems with other people for examples:

  • Stereos
  • Karaoke equipment
  • Television
  • Musical instruments

Activities in public places, open markets, streets and parks can likewise generate disturbing levels of noise if not properly managed.

Noise from Commercial and Industrial Premises

Noise from commercial and industrial venues is also carefully managed under the Noise Control Ordinance. Factories and commercial premises such as restaurants generate noise during their daily business operations, including from:

  • Pumping systems.
  • Ventilation and air conditioning systems.
  • Other business-related machinery or plants, such as refrigeration systems.

Noise from these sources is regulated in line with the Technical Memorandum for the Assessment of Noise from Places Other than Domestic Premises, Public Places or Construction Sites.

Text of the Noise Control OrdinanceMore on the Technical Memorandum

What You Can Do

To ensure that the ventilation and air conditioning equipment of your commercial premises is not producing unnecessary noise, you should properly select and maintain it to ensure in compliance with legal requirements.

In domestic premises, to be a considerate neighbour you should:

  • Not set the volume of your television or stereo too high.
  • Shut doors and windows when engaging in noisy activities.
  • Not make excessive noise at night.

You can complain about construction, commercial and industrial noises through the Environmental Protection Department's Customer Service Centre at 2838 3111, or at any one of the four Regional Offices of the Environmental Protection Department. Complaints about neighbourhood noise, noise from intruder alarms and construction noise can be handled by your local police station. But first, try to talk to your neighbour or seek assistance from your estate manager to see if you can solve the problem yourself.

Regional Offices of the Environmental Protection DepartmentList of Local police stations and their phone numbersPublic enquiries and complaints
Found this page helpful?
Found this page helpful?
Your feedback is highly appreciated. (Optional)
Notice: This form is NOT intended for handling enquiries or complaints. For assistance, please contact the 24-hour Helpdesk at (852) 183 5500 or email to
Thank you. Your input will only be used to improve GovHK.
Last review date: April 2022