Voluntary Energy Efficiency Labelling Scheme

In recognition of the need to improve energy efficiency in Hong Kong, the Government has introduced a voluntary energy efficiency labelling scheme. Here you can learn more about the scheme, the types of appliances and equipment it covers, and where you can check if a product is registered.

The Energy Efficiency Labelling Scheme

The Electrical and Mechanical Services Department runs a voluntary Energy Efficiency Labelling Scheme for appliances and equipment used in the home and office, and for petrol-powered vehicles. Manufacturers, importers and the like can join the scheme to promote their environmentally responsible products. The labels that are issued provide information on energy consumption and efficiency to help you make better purchasing decisions.

Booklet on the Energy Efficiency Labelling Scheme (pdf file)

The Grading-type Energy Label

The grading-type energy label tells you how much energy an appliance is likely to consume in a year of average use. It also grades that energy efficiency on a scale of one to five, with one being the most efficient and five the least efficient. More generally, grading-type energy labels apply to:

  • Room coolers (Voluntary Scheme)#
  • Refrigerators (Voluntary Scheme)#
  • Washing machines (Voluntary Scheme)#
  • Electric storage water heaters
  • Electric clothes dryers
  • Televisions

A registration number is issued to each classified brand,  so you can rest assured that it has met the Government's exacting standards.

Grading-type energy label  sample

# Remarks : The voluntary scheme covers those product scope not regulated under the Energy Efficiency (Labelling of Products) Ordinance.

The Recognition-Type Energy Label

The recognition-type energy label does not grade an appliance's energy efficiency. Rather, it tells you that the product has been certified to meet the minimum energy efficiency and performance requirements. The following products are issued with the recognition-type energy label:

  • Non-integrated type compact fluorescent lamps
  • Photocopiers
  • Multifunction devices
  • Electric rice cookers
  • Dehumidifiers (Voluntary Scheme)#
  • Laser printers
  • LCD monitors
  • Domestic instantaneous gas water heaters
  • Electronic ballasts
  • Computers
  • Fax machines
  • Hot/cold bottled water dispensers
  • LED lamps
  • Induction Cookers
  • Gas Cookers
  • Microwave Ovens

Products that carry the recognition-type energy label are registered by the Electrical and Mechanical Services Department.

Recognition-type energy label sample

# Remarks : The voluntary scheme covers those product scope not regulated under the Energy Efficiency (Labelling of Products) Ordinance.

Recognition-type energy labels and grading labels compared (pdf file)

An Energy Label for Petrol Passenger Cars

In 2002, the Electrical and Mechanical Services Department extended the voluntary energy efficiency labelling scheme to petrol passenger cars. The fuel consumption of a car usually depends on the way it is driven, so the label contains information on:

  • Urban fuel consumption
  • Highway fuel consumption
  • Estimated annual fuel consumption

All three types of fuel consumption are measured in litres per kilometre, with a lower number indicating greater efficiency. The label is displayed on new cars that are registered under the scheme, so you can compare the fuel efficiency of models before buying.

More on the energy label for passenger cars

Energy Label Registers

To ensure that you can always check whether your appliances and equipment have been registered, the Electrical and Mechanical Services Department maintains registers of the following items.

  • Household appliances, including refrigerators, room coolers, washing machines, non-integrated type compact fluorescent lamps, electrical storage water heaters, electric rice cookers, dehumidifiers, televisions, electronic ballasts, LED lamps and Microwave Ovens
  • Office equipment, including photocopiers, multifunction devices, laser printers, LCD monitors, fax machines and hot/cold bottled water dispensers
  • Petrol passenger cars
  • Gas appliances, including domestic instantaneous gas water heaters and gas cookers

All four registers are available online at the Department's website.

Energy label registration registers
Found this page helpful?
Found this page helpful?
Your feedback is highly appreciated. (Optional)
Notice: This form is NOT intended for handling enquiries or complaints. For assistance, please contact the 24-hour Helpdesk at (852) 183 5500 or email to enquiry@1835500.gov.hk.
Thank you. Your input will only be used to improve GovHK.
Last review date: December 2022