Renewing your vehicle licence is now easy and convenient with the online service provided by the Transport Department. Here you can find out more about renewing your vehicle licence online, including when you should apply, the fees payable and what you need to have ready when you apply online.
Online Vehicle Licence Renewal
You can now renew your vehicle licence conveniently online within 4 months of the expiry date.
Vehicle Examination Before Licence Renewal
All private cars aged 6 years or more are required to receive annual vehicle examination and be issued a Certificate of Roadworthiness for the renewal of licence.
For example, a registered owner of any private car manufactured in 2001 or before who wishes to apply for a licence with effect from 1 January 2008 or after, must submit his or her private car for examination at a Designated Car Testing Centre.
All goods and commercial vehicles, except for motorcycles, are required to undergo a vehicle examination before the renewal of a vehicle licence. You can make or reschedule an appointment for vehicle examination online. More information on vehicle examinations is available through the following link.
- More on vehicle examinationshttp://www.td.gov.hk/en/public_services/vehicle_examination/index.html
- Booking online for annual vehicle examinationhttp://www.gov.hk/en/residents/transport/vehicle/bookvehicleexam.htm
When Should I Apply?
You can submit your application for renewal up to 4 months before your vehicle licence is due to expire. If you apply after the expiry date, then the renewed licence will run from the date on which it is issued. Find out more about vehicle licensing and renewal through the following link.
- More on vehicle licensing and renewalhttp://www.td.gov.hk/en/public_services/licences_and_permits/vehicle_and_driving_licences/how_to_apply_for_registering_and_licensing_a_vehic/index.html
The vehicle licence fee varies depending on the type of vehicle and its cylinder capacity. The fee can be paid either annually or quarterly. If you apply to renew a licence after it has expired, you will need to pay the full fee plus an additional charge of 0.33 % of that fee for each day after the expiry date.
- Table of vehicle licence feeshttp://www.td.gov.hk/en/public_services/fees_and_charges/index.html#vehicle
Before Starting the Online Renewal Process
Before you start the online application, you should have the following items ready:
- A valid personal or organisational digital certificate issued by recognised Certification Authorities for authentication.
- Scanned document images of Third Party Risk Insurance Certificate or Cover Note, vehicle registration document and other supporting documents, such as a valid Certificate of Roadworthiness, if applicable. These should be 500 KB or less and in TIFF, JPEG, GIF, BMP or PDF format. The Transport Department recommends black and white, 100 dpi and PDF / JPEG format.
- Either a credit card (Visa or MasterCard) or a PPS account number and Internet password for payment. Both Visa and MasterCard offer additional security programs to give their cardholders extra protection when they make online payments. You must register in advance with Verified by Visa (VbV) or MasterCard® SecureCodeTM.
- A printer to print out a hard copy of the acknowledgement page. If you do not have a printer, be sure to write down the e-service reference number.
- An image file of proof of present address (e.g. water/ electricity/gas/ mobile phone bill or bank correspondence) which is issued not more than 3 months from now.
- More on GovHK online payment serviceshttp://www.gov.hk/en/about/helpdesk/faq/payment/index.shtml
- More on System Requirements for GovHK Online Serviceshttp://www.gov.hk/en/about/helpdesk/softwarerequirement/onlineservice.htm
Upon successful renewal, the Transport Department will send the new vehicle licence to your correspondence address by registered post within 10 working days.
If you need further information about renewing your vehicle licence online, just call 1823 or visit the Transport Department’s website.
- FAQ on online application for renewal of vehicle licencehttp://eapps.td.gov.hk/repoes/faq/app514/en/faqMenu.html
- More on renewal of vehicle licencehttp://www.td.gov.hk/en/public_services/licences_and_permits/vehicle_and_driving_licences/how_to_apply_for_registering_and_licensing_a_vehic/index.html
Last review date: January 2013