Renewing your full driving licence is now easy and convenient with the online service offered by the Transport Department. Here are the details, including the costs and supporting documents for the application.
Renewing Full Driving Licence Online
If you hold a full driving licence and are below the age of 70 (according to the start date of the new driving licence), you can renew it online.
When Should I Apply?
You can renew your full licence online if it is due to expire within the next 4 months or has expired within the past 3 years. Licences that expired more than 3 years ago cannot be renewed. In that case, if you wish to obtain a new full driving licence, you will have to obtain a learner’s driving licence and take a road test again. You will, however, be exempted from the written test.
- More on full driving licencehttp://www.td.gov.hk/en/public_services/licences_and_permits/vehicle_and_driving_licences/how_to_apply_for_a_driving_licence/general_information_on_driving_licence/index.html
Full Driving Licence with Commercial Vehicle Class(es)
With the Road Traffic (Driving Licences) Regulations coming into effect on 10 March 2008, an applicant applying for new issue, renewal or addition of a full driving licence with commercial vehicle classes must be:
- A holder of a Hong Kong Permanent Identity Card; or
- A holder of other types of Hong Kong Identity Card other than the Hong Kong Permanent Identity Card; and not be subject to any condition of stay other than a limit of stay as defined in section 2(1) of the Immigration Ordinance (Cap.115).
- More on full driving licence with Commercial Vehicle Class(es)http://www.td.gov.hk/en/public_services/frequently_asked_questions/driver_licensing/index.html
How Much Will it Cost?
The fee to renew a full driving licence for holders aged 60 or below is HK$900, with a validity period of 10 years.
- More on fees and charges for driving licences aged above 60http://www.td.gov.hk/en/public_services/fees_and_charges/index.html#driving
What Do I Need to Prepare Before Application?
Before you start the application, you should have the following ready:
- A valid personal digital certificate issued by recognised Certification Authorities or Renewal Password issued by the Transport Department for authentication.
- Either a credit card (Visa or MasterCard) or a PPS account number and Internet password for payment. Both Visa and MasterCard offer additional security programs to give their cardholders extra protection when they make online payments. You must register in advance with Verified by Visa (VbV) or MasterCard® SecureCodeTM.
- A printer to print out a hard copy of the acknowledgement page.
- An image file of proof of present address (e.g. water/ electricity/gas/ mobile phone bill or bank correspondence) which is issued not more than 3 months from now.
- An image file of the Hong Kong Permanent Identity Card (for renewal of full driving licence with commercial vehicle class(es)).
Upon successful renewal, the Transport Department will send your new licence to your correspondence address by registered post within 10 working days.
- More on GovHK online payment serviceshttp://www.gov.hk/en/about/helpdesk/faq/payment/index.shtml
- More on System Requirements for GovHK Online Serviceshttp://www.gov.hk/en/about/helpdesk/softwarerequirement/onlineservice.htm
If you need more information about the online application service, you may call 1823. Other useful information can be found through the following links.
- FAQs about online application for renewal of full driving licencehttp://eapps.td.gov.hk/odlr/odlr_ext_web/faqIndex_en.jsp
- More on renewing a full driving licencehttp://www.td.gov.hk/en/public_services/licences_and_permits/vehicle_and_driving_licences/how_to_apply_for_a_driving_licence/general_information_on_driving_licence/index.html
Last review date: February 2015