You can now apply online for a Certificate of Particulars of Motor Vehicle. Here you can find out more about online applications, including who can apply, how to apply and what you need to prepare before application.
You can now apply online for a Certificate of Particulars of Motor Vehicle to obtain a history, related to traffic and transport matters, of any vehicle registered in Hong Kong. You may want to apply for this certificate if you are buying or selling a car, or if you are engaged in transport-related legal proceedings. The process is easy, and you will be able to print the Certificate out right after your application online.
Who Can Apply for the Certificate?
You can apply online if you meet the following criteria:
- You are at least 18 years old and hold a valid personal digital certificate issued by recognised Certification Authorities.
- You are the authorised person of a limited company who holds a valid organisational digital certificate opened with a Certificate of Incorporation.
The Commissioner for Transport will be able to verify the Certificate of Particulars of Motor Vehicle obtained through the online service except in the following situations:
- The Certificate is wrinkled.
- The Certificate is a photocopy.
- The Certificate has been folded.
You can only use personal data of the registered owner provided by the Certificate for activities relating to traffic and transport matters.
The fee for each Certificate of Particulars of Motor Vehicle is HK$45.
Before Starting Online Application
Before you start the online application for the Certificate of Particulars of Motor Vehicle, you should have the following items ready:
- A valid personal or organisational digital certificate issued by recognised Certification Authorities for authentication.
- Either a credit card (Visa or MasterCard) or a PPS account number and Internet password for payment. Both Visa and MasterCard offer additional security programs to give their cardholders extra protection when they make online payments. You must register in advance with Verified by Visa (VbV) or MasterCard® SecureCodeTM.
- A printer to print out the hard copy of the acknowledgement page and the Certificate.
- More on GovHK online payment serviceshttp://www.gov.hk/en/about/helpdesk/faq/payment/index.shtml
- More on System Requirements for GovHK Online Serviceshttp://www.gov.hk/en/about/helpdesk/softwarerequirement/onlineservice.htm
Applying by Post
You will be able to print out the Certificate right away if you apply online. You can also apply by post, in which case it will be sent to you by registered post within 10 working days upon receipt of your application.
The following link will take you to the postal application form.
- Postal application for Certificate of Particulars of Motor Vehicle (pdf file)http://www.td.gov.hk/filemanager/common/td318(2016.10)_e-fillable_eng_.pdf
Underpaid mail items will be rejected. Please pay sufficient postage to ensure mail items can duly reach us.
- More on mail items with insufficient postagehttp://www.td.gov.hk/en/pay_sufficient_postage/index.html
If you need further information on applying for a Certificate of Particulars of Motor Vehicle online, please call 1823 or visit the Transport Department’s website.
- FAQ on online application for certificate of particulars of motor vehiclehttp://eapps.td.gov.hk/repoes/faq/app516/en/faqMenu.html
Last review date: October 2016