Before registering to be issued with a permanent identity card, you need to demonstrate that you have the right of abode in Hong Kong. You can start that process by applying for verification of your eligibility for a permanent identity card. Here you can learn about how to apply online, how to submit supplementary information if you are requested to do so, and how to change or enquire about an appointment for document verification.
- Learn more about Application for Verification of Eligibility for Permanent Identity Cardhttp://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/services/right-of-abode-in-hksar/apply.html#perm_id
The online application service is convenient to use. The following link will take you to further information on what to do when preparing to submit an application, the supporting documents you will need to include, the file formats for online submission, how to complete the online submission process and where to find out more information about the right of abode in Hong Kong.
- Online Application for Verification of Eligibility for Permanent Identity Cardhttp://www.gov.hk/en/residents/immigration/idcard/onlineverifypic.htm
Applicants must be staying in Hong Kong legally when submitting applications (regardless of whether by post, drop-in or via the Internet). If you are not physically present in Hong Kong when you apply, your application will not be processed and will be treated as closed.
Online Supplementary Document Submission
If you have submitted your application and are notified by the Immigration Department to provide supplementary documents for processing that application, you can use the convenient online submission service. The following link will take you to further information on how to submit your supplementary documents online.
- Online Supplementary Document Submissionhttp://www.gov.hk/en/residents/immigration/idcard/submitsupplementdoc.htm
Online Application Status Enquiry
If you have submitted your application, you can check the application status with this online enquiry service. Find out the details with the link below.
- Online Application Status Enquiryhttp://www.gov.hk/en/residents/immigration/nonpermanent/appstatusenq.htm
Online Change of / Enquiry about Appointment for Document Verification
If you have submitted your application and have received an appointment letter to attend the Right of Abode Section for verification of the originals of your supporting documents, you can change or enquire about the scheduled appointment online. The following link will take you to further information on this service, an alternative way to change or enquire about the appointment by phone, and where to attend your appointment.
- Online Change of / Enquiry about Appointment for Document Verificationhttp://www.gov.hk/en/residents/immigration/idcard/changedvappointment.htm
Last review date: March 2015