Before you travel outside Hong Kong, you can use this online service to register your contact details and itinerary. The information you provided allows the Assistance to Hong Kong Residents Unit of the Hong Kong Immigration Department to contact and assist you in an emergency outside Hong Kong. You will also receive updates on Outbound Travel Alert (OTA) and related public information via your “My Messages” of MyGovHK and, depending on the situation, SMS to your Hong Kong or overseas mobile phone if your registered destination is covered by the OTA System of the HKSAR Government. The OTA and related public information will also be sent to your email address if you have agreed to receive email messages in “My Settings” at MyGovHK. You may find out more about OTA, alerts currently in force and the countries covered via the following links:
- OTA Systemhttp://www.sb.gov.hk/eng/ota/index.htm
- Countries covered by the OTA Systemhttp://www.sb.gov.hk/eng/ota/destinations.htm
Who can use the ROTI?
If you are a Hong Kong resident holding a valid Hong Kong Identity Card (HKIC) and have registered for a MyGovHK account, you can use the ROTI, which is free of charge.
If you are not a MyGovHK account holder, you have to first register for an account under MyGovHK through the following link:
For MyGovHK account holder, you can click on the above link to log in.
How to use the ROTI?
After you have logged in MyGovHK, select “Register Outbound Travel Information” under “Immigration Services” in the “My Online Services / Forms” tab. If you have not entered your English name or HKIC number when registering for the MyGovHK account, you will be prompted to enter them at “My Info” under “My Setting” at MyGovHK.
You will be asked to read and confirm acceptance of the Terms and Conditions of the ROTI before you proceed to the creation of profile under the ROTI.
- Go to “Select Function”;
- Click “My Profile” and select “Create Profile”.
After you have entered your personal particulars, the “Name in English”, “HKIC Number” and “Date of Issue of HKIC” will be sent to the Immigration Department for verification. The verification will normally be completed in two to three days. After verification, a message will be sent to your “My Messages” of MyGovHK informing you of the result. In case the verification fails, you will be notified to correct the information within 14 days of your creation/change of profile; or else any information entered under the ROTI will be discarded. The same message will also be sent to your email address if you have agreed to receive email messages in “My Settings” at MyGovHK. Please note that updates on OTA and related public information from the HKSAR Government may not be sent to you until your profile is successfully verified.
- Go to “Select Function”;
- Click “My Itinerary” and select “Create Itinerary”.
You are advised to choose the nearest “Destination” and/or “Destination Details” if the name of the place you are travelling to is not available in the lists provided.
For the “Date of Arrival” and “Date of Departure”, you should enter the date of your place of travel.
For the “Number of Relatives/Friends Travelling with You”, please only enter the number of the companions travelling with you. If you are travelling alone, please enter “0” in the box.
You can change or delete your itinerary information anytime before the “Date of Arrival”. Past itinerary records cannot be changed or deleted.
- Apart from the “Name in English”, “HKIC Number” and “Date of Issue of HKIC”, other information you provide under the ROTI will not be verified.
- The information you enter under the ROTI cannot be amended or rectified by any other person or by the HKSAR Government by any means except yourself.
- Please ensure the information provided is accurate, otherwise the HKSAR Government will not be able to send you updates on OTA and related public information or offer you any assistance in an emergency outside Hong Kong.
- If you want to receive SMS from ROTI via your Hong Kong mobile phone, please check with your Hong Kong mobile service provider to obtain information on the availability and charges of roaming service relating to your place of travel before you leave Hong Kong. You may not be able to receive messages outside Hong Kong in the absence of roaming service.
- If want to receive SMS from ROTI via your overseas mobile phone, please check with your overseas mobile service provider to obtain information on the availability and charges of receiving SMS messages sent from Hong Kong. The ROTI can send SMS messages to designated overseas mobile networks only. For details, please contact the GovHK enquiry hotline at (852) 183 5500.
- The ROTI accepts registration of itinerary information within three months prior to commencement of the itinerary, which covers a maximum duration of six months.
- The itinerary information you provide will be kept for three months after the “Date of Departure”.
Outbound Travel Alert (OTA) Systemhttp://www.sb.gov.hk/eng/ota/index.htm
Countries covered by the OTA Systemhttp://www.sb.gov.hk/eng/ota/destinations.htm
Travel Tips and Advicehttp://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/services/Travel_Tips_and_Advice.html
Assistance to Hong Kong Residents 24-Hour Hotlinehttp://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/services/Assistance_Outside_Hong_Kong.html#c
Assistance to Hong Kong Residents in the Mainlandhttp://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/services/Assistance_Outside_Hong_Kong.html#b
Assistance to Hong Kong Residents Travelling Outside Chinese Territoryhttp://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/services/Assistance_Outside_Hong_Kong.html#c
Assistance and Further Information
If you need any assistance in using this online service, you can contact the GovHK Help Desk :
Telephone no. - (852) 1835500
Email address - firstname.lastname@example.org:email@example.com
Further information on the service is also available in the set of helpful Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
- FAQs about the Registration of Outbound Travel Informationhttps://roti.personalised.gov.hk/roti/html/roti_faq_en.html
Last review date: March 2015