The Hong Kong Supplementary Character Set (HKSCS) contains Chinese characters that are specific to the Hong Kong environment and are used by the public and the Government in electronic communications. By using the HKSCS, the public and the Government share a common set of characters to make electronic communications more effective and accurate. Please visit the following website for more information on HKSCS.
- Hong Kong Supplementary Character Set (HKSCS)http://www.ogcio.gov.hk/en/business/tech_promotion/ccli/hkscs/
Microsoft Windows Vista or later versions are already bundled with HKSCS. If you are using the Linux operating system, please visit the following website for some detailed information to view and input Chinese characters in HKSCS.
- HKSCS Reference Font provided by the HKSARGhttp://www.ogcio.gov.hk/ccli/eng/hkscs/terms/terms34.html
After installing the font, you need to set the font as your “application font”, and the default font of your browser.
For Mozilla Firefox on Linux, the default font can be configured as follows:
- In the menu, click “Preferences”
- Select “Content”
- Under Fonts & Colors, select “Ming (for ISO10646)” as the “default font”
- Click the “Close” button
Please also consult your Linux vendor or documentation on how to install Chinese fonts and input methods, and how to configure the “application font”.
If you need to input HKSCS characters in a GovHK online service, please also refer to the following:
- FAQ about GovHK Online Serviceshttp://www.gov.hk/en/about/helpdesk/faq/other/index.shtml
Last revision date: March 2015