What is RSS?
What is an RSS feed?
'RSS' usually stands for 'Really Simple Syndication', which is a way of notifying you about content changes on websites. Subscribing to RSS feeds allows you to aggregate updates from multiple websites without having to go from one site to another.
GovHK provides a list of RSS feeds from various Government bureaux, departments and related organisations, covering news, government initiatives, services and much more. With these feeds you can easily stay informed about your areas of interest.Full list of RSS feeds on GovHK
How can I subscribe to RSS feeds?
Websites usually display one or more of the following icons to indicate that RSS feeds are available:
The most common ways to view RSS feeds are:
- Using an Internet browser equipped with an RSS subscription function. Most browsers can present the headlines of RSS feeds in the form of browser bookmarks;
- Using a dedicated RSS reader, which is a software developed to view feeds with more advanced functions;
- By integrating RSS feeds into your website or blog, which is becoming increasingly popular.
You can subscribe to an RSS feed in two simple steps:
- Choose an RSS reader to view a feed; and
- Indicate the RSS feed to which you would like to subscribe
Using a browser equipped with an RSS reader
Some browsers allow subscriptions to RSS feeds. The browser will display an RSS button at the end of the address bar or in the tool bar whenever you visit a webpage that provides a feed. Just click on the RSS icon to subscribe. You can then view the latest information via the browser's bookmarks or a shortcut in the tool bar.Information on RSS subscription for Internet Explorer usersInformation on RSS subscription for Firefox usersInformation on RSS subscription for Opera users
Using a dedicated RSS Reader
Free RSS readers are easy to find by searching online with keywords such as "RSS reader". When you have subscribed to or installed a dedicated RSS reader, you can add an RSS feed by copying an address, such as "http://www.news.gov.hk/rss/news/topstories_en.xml", and pasting it to the subscription box of your reader.Information on RSS subscription for users of the Google RSS reader