Submission of Profits Tax Return
Advantages of Internet filing
- A secure service operating day and night
- An additional extension of 2 weeks upon application
- Neat and convenient completion of return
- Integrity and confidentiality of data preserved
- Instant transmission of data and no queuing or postage required
- Immediate acknowledgement of receipt to you and others nominated by you
- Efficient processing of returns
The return that is suitable for Internet filing
Only Profits Tax Return for any year of assessment from 2010/11 to 2015/16 issued to a corporation/partnership can be filed through the Internet. In addition, the corporation/partnership must satisfy all the conditions specified by the Commissioner of Inland Revenue.
A corporation must satisfy the following conditions in the relevant year:
- Its gross income does not exceed HK$2,000,000;
- It does not have any deemed assessable profits pursuant to section 20AE and/or 20AF of the Inland Revenue Ordinance;
- Its Assessable Profits/Adjusted Loss does not include any interest, profits/loss arising from "short term debt instruments" or "medium term debt instruments" as defined in section 14A(4) of the Inland Revenue Ordinance;
- It does not claim any tax relief pursuant to an arrangement for avoidance of double taxation specified under section 49(1) or 49(1A) of the Inland Revenue Ordinance;
- It has not obtained an advance ruling on any of its tax matter in relation to that year of assessment;
- It has not paid or accrued to a non-resident person any sum for the use of intellectual property specified in section 15(1)(a), (b) or (ba) of the Inland Revenue Ordinance; and
- It does not claim debt treatment for an arrangement as "an originator" or "a bond-issuer" of a specified alternative bond scheme under section 40AB and Schedule 17A of the Inland Revenue Ordinance.
A partnership must satisfy the conditions above. In addition,
- It cannot have more than 6 partners during the basis period for that year of assessment (including those partners who have retired); and
- All of its partners are individuals.
The Profits Tax Returns that can be filed through the Internet have been specified by the Commissioner of Inland Revenue and published in Government Gazette.
To use the “Submission of Profits Tax Return” service
Only an eTAX Account holder in the following capacity can use the “Submission of Profits Tax Return” service to sign and submit Profits Tax Return that meets the criteria for Internet filing:
- the Director, Secretary or Manager of the corporation;
- the precedent partner of the partnership; or
- the sole proprietor of the business (only if it was changed from a partnership to a sole proprietorship during the basis period for the year of assessment).
The person who is responsible for submitting the Profits Tax Return will need to log on to his eTAX Account to use the “Submission of Profits Tax Return” service to retrieve the draft return file that has been saved for submission using the “Completion of Profits Tax Return” service. He will also be required to input his designation for submission of the return and then sign and submit the return electronically.
Submit nowRead Government eGazetteView Online DemoFrequently Asked Questions and Answers