This webpage summarises the healthcare services provided by the public and private sectors in Hong Kong
Public and Private Healthcare Services
The chart below illustrates the overall structure of the healthcare system and the services provided in Hong Kong:
Food and Health Bureau
The Food and Health Bureau is responsible for forming policies and allocating resources for the running of Hong Kong’s health services. It also ensures these policies are carried out effectively to protect and promote public health, provide lifelong holistic health care to every citizen of Hong Kong, and ensure that no one is denied adequate medical treatment due to lack of means.
- More about Food and Health Bureauhttp://www.fhb.gov.hk/
Department of Health
The Department of Health (DH) is the Government’s health adviser and agency to execute healthcare policies and statutory functions. It safeguards the community’s health through a range of promotional, preventive, curative and rehabilitative services. DH provides subsidised healthcare services through its centres and health clinics to citizens of Hong Kong.
- List of clinics and health centres under DHhttp://www.dh.gov.hk/english/tele/tele_chc/tele_chc.html
- More about services provided by DHhttp://www.dh.gov.hk/english/main/main.html
- Centre for Health Protectionhttp://www.chp.gov.hk/en/index.html
The Hospital Authority
The Hospital Authority (HA) is a statutory body providing public hospitals and related services to the citizens of Hong Kong. It offers medical treatment and rehabilitation services to patients through hospitals, day hospitals, specialist clinics, general out-patient clinics, Chinese Medicine service and community outreach services that are organised into seven clusters which together serve the whole of Hong Kong. Hong Kong citizens can enjoy subsidised medical services provided by HA.
- Public hospitals and institutionshttp://www.ha.org.hk/visitor/ha_visitor_index.asp?Content_ID=10084&Lang=ENG&Dimension=100&Parent_ID=10042
- General Out-patient Clinics by HAhttp://www.ha.org.hk/visitor/ha_visitor_index.asp?Content_ID=10052&Lang=ENG&Dimension=100&Ver=HTML
- Specialist Out-patient Clinics by HAhttp://www.ha.org.hk/visitor/ha_visitor_index.asp?Content_ID=10053&Lang=ENG&Ver=HTML
- Chinese Medicine Service by HAhttp://www.ha.org.hk/visitor/ha_visitor_index.asp?Content_ID=10082&Lang=ENG&Dimension=100&Parent_ID=10042
- Community Medical Services by HAhttp://www.ha.org.hk/visitor/ha_visitor_index.asp?Content_ID=10089&Lang=ENG&Dimension=100
Private Health Care
There are a number of private hospitals and medical services provided by the private healthcare sector. DH regulates all private hospitals and medical clinics registered under the Medical Clinics Ordinance (Cap.343). DH monitors their compliance with relevant regulations by conducting inspections, and handling medical incidents and complaints lodged by the general public against these institutions. All Western medicine practitioners practising in Hong Kong have to register with the Medical Council of Hong Kong (MCHK). MCHK is a statutory body responsible for registration and professional discipline of medical practitioners to maintain professional standards for protection of the public.
- List of registered private hospitalshttp://www.dh.gov.hk/english/main/main_orhi/list_ph.html
- List of registered clinicshttp://www.dh.gov.hk/english/main/main_orhi/list_rc.html
- List of clinics exempted from section 7 of the Medical Clinics Ordinancehttp://www.dh.gov.hk/english/main/main_orhi/list_ec.html
- Search for registered doctorshttp://www.mchk.org.hk/doctor/index.htm
- Search for registered Chinese medicine practitionershttp://www.cmchk.org.hk/cmp/eng/#main_rdoctor_choice.htm
- Registration of Health Care Professionalshttp://www.dh.gov.hk/english/main/main_rhp/main_rhp.html
Last review date: January 2013