eTAX Security Statement
The secrecy and confidentiality of taxpayers' information are the utmost concern of Inland Revenue Department (IRD).
IRD has taken the following security measures:
- The eTAX System has been designed and will be reviewed with reference to the latest best practice for Information Security Management as defined by ISO 27001 & ISO 27002.
- IRD's eTAX Services are operated in a secure site that use Transport Layer Security (TLS) encryption technology - a well-proven industry standard for encryption to ensure both confidentiality and integrity during data transmission over the Internet. All personal data provided to the IRD via eTAX are secured, and access to them is restricted to authorised officers in IRD only.
- You have to use your Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) and eTAX Password or Digital Certificate to authenticate your identity every time you login your eTAX Account. Your eTAX Password will be revoked upon 5 unsuccessful login attempts.
- If your computer remains inactive for a period of time after login, the system will automatically log out itself to prevent any unauthorised access.
- IRD's web servers are protected by "firewalls" and IRD's systems are monitored to prevent any unauthorised access.
- Stringent administrative control is put in place to monitor all access to the system and ensure that all transactions are properly authorised.
- IRD does not send personal information to you by unencrypted email nor embed hyperlinks in email for accessing your eTAX Account.
IRD recommends that you adopt the following practices :-
- Always remember to log out properly and close the browser after you have finished using eTAX Services.
- Do not use easy-to-guess characters (such as your birthday or Hong Kong Identity Card Number) as your password.
- Change your password on a regular basis.
- Access eTAX only through the GovHK or the IRD's website or type the URL http://www.gov.hk/etax in the address bar of the browser.
- Avoid conducting transactions from public terminals.
- Install proper firewalls, anti-virus software and anti-spyware software in your computer, and update them on a regular basis.
- Do not disclose your eTAX Password to anyone, including a person who claims to be a staff member of IRD.
- If you suspect any security breach or unusual activity, please contact IRD immediately at 183 2011.