Renewal of Vehicle Licence

  • May apply for renewal starting from 4 months before the date of expiry of the current vehicle licence
  • A vehicle licence is valid for 12 months or 4 months
  • Submit online (requires an ‘iAM Smart’ account with digital signing function activated, or a valid digital certificate)
  • Submit through a service counter at a Licensing Office, either walk-in or by making an online appointment
  • Submit through drop-in boxes at Licensing Offices
  • Submit by postal

Postal address:

Transport Department ‘Renewal of Vehicle Licence’

Shatin Central Post Office

P.O. Box No. 79

  • Application for Renewal of Vehicle Licence’ (Form TD558)
  • Original or photocopy of identity document of the registered vehicle owner
  • Original or photocopy of valid Third Party Risks Insurance Policy or Cover Note in respect of the vehicle in the name of the registered owner and shall be valid on the date when the new licence is to become operative
  • Original Vehicle Registration Document
  • Original or photocopy of proof of present address acceptable by the Transport Department (residential address/company address and correspondence address) which is issued not more than 3 months from the date of application
  • Original ‘Certificate of Roadworthiness’ or ‘Certificate of Fitness’

(Applicable to private cars manufactured not less than 6 years before the date with effect from which the private cars are to be licensed, as well as all goods vehicles and commercial vehicles)

For a vehicle licence applied for renewal after the expiry date, its validity period will start from the date of issue of the licence, and an additional fee must be paid for the period between the expiry date of the original licence and the effective date of the new licence.  If the vehicle is not used on roads during the unlicensed period, the vehicle owner may make a declaration on the application form (TD558) to apply for waiving this additional fee at the counter of a Licensing Office of the Transport Department or when making an online submission.

  • Payment Method
    • Online application:
      Credit Card, Union Pay or PPS
    • Using a licensing office counter:
      Cash, FPS, EPS or Crossed Cheque (payable to ‘The Government of the HKSAR’)
    • Postal application:
      Crossed Cheque (payable to ‘The Government of the HKSAR’)
Found this page helpful?
Found this page helpful?
Your feedback is highly appreciated. (Optional)
Notice: This form is NOT intended for handling enquiries or complaints. For assistance, please contact the 24-hour Helpdesk at (852) 183 5500 or email to
Thank you. Your input will only be used to improve GovHK.
Last review date: June 2022