Ad Hoc Quotas for Cross Boundary Private Cars

The Ad Hoc Quotas Scheme allows the owners of Hong Kong non-commercial private car with seating capacity of 5 or below, who are not regular quota holders, to drive into the Guangdong Province via the Shenzhen Bay Port once for a stay of not more than 7 days.


  • Applicant and driver should be residents of Hong Kong holding a valid "Home Visit Permit".
  • Applicant must be on board the private car concerned upon entering the Guangdong Province and returning to Hong Kong.
  • Driver must hold a valid Mainland driving licence for private car.

Holder of a valid Hong Kong full driving licence for private car can apply for a Mainland driving licence for small vehicle. For more application details, please contact the Traffic Management Bureau of GDPSD at (8620) 8311 1536 or visit GDPSD’s website for updates.


Visit Transport Department’s website for details of eligibility for applicant and driver:  

Eligibility for application of “Ad Hoc Quotas Scheme”

  1. Make reservation for an ad hoc quota from the Transport Department.

Reserve quotas via the reservation hotline 3901 0088 or online service.

Online quota reservation 

  1. Submit application for ad hoc quotas and “Closed Road Permit” (CRP) via the following channels:

Submit a duly completed application form (TD600A) together with the required supporting documents to the Cross Boundary Unit of the Transport Department by the above channels (Address: Room 1032, 10/F, Harbour Building, 38 Pier Road, Central, Hong Kong). 

  1. Complete the formalities required by the Mainland Government authorities.

Complete formalities as required by the Mainland Government authorities in China Travel Service (Hong Kong) Limited and the Hong Kong General Chamber of Commerce after obtaining the CRP issued by the Transport Department.

Complete formalities required by GDPSD, Inspection and Quarantine authorities as well as the Mainland Customs



To ensure departure on schedule, applicants should allow ample time, particularly when there are long Mainland holidays during which the relevant agencies would suspend office operation temporarily, to complete all the relevant formalities.

  • Application fee for a CRP is HK$45
  • Applicants are required to complete other formalities as required by the Mainland government authorities such as purchasing the Mainland “Compulsory Traffic Accident Liability Insurance for Motor Vehicles”, applying for the “ATA Carnet”, etc.

Since the procedures and price schedules for various formalities are set by the relevant organisations, and may be updated from time to time, applicants are advised to obtain up-to-date information on the required procedures and fees before submitting applications.

Website of relevant organisations

Found this page helpful?
Found this page helpful?
Your feedback is highly appreciated. (Optional)
Notice: This form is NOT intended for handling enquiries or complaints. For assistance, please contact the 24-hour Helpdesk at (852) 183 5500 or email to
Thank you. Your input will only be used to improve GovHK.
Last review date: June 2022