Studying Overseas

Whether you are planning to study overseas yourself, or preparing for your children to do so, there are a few things you need to consider before making your decision. This article provides you with the government information and services relevant to studying overseas, such as admission requirements and scholarship schemes, and leads you to the relevant websites for further information.

General Information about Studying Overseas

There are different types of overseas study options – from longer study programmes to shorter study tours.

Study Programmes


Both the Education Bureau and HKEdCity provide on their websites general information about studying abroad in countries like the UK, the USA, Canada and Australia.

You can find out more about the education system, admission requirements, application procedures, expected expenses, etc. for studying in these countries from non-profit-making organisations such as the British Council, the Institute of International Education as well as respective consulates or commissions of the countries concerned stationed in Hong Kong.

General information on further studies abroad from the Education BureauMore on studying overseas from Hong Kong Education City – Multiple Pathways (available in Chinese only)

Study Tours

Study tours usually last from a few days to a month or so. When going on or sending your children on such tours, you should be aware that:

  • the service provider is licensed;
  • the provider has experienced personnel to provide sufficient attention to the young travellers under their care;
  • the host family, if applicable, is suitable;
  • there are sufficient health services and facilities throughout the tour.


Tips for committing your children to a study tour extracted from Choice Magazine published by the Consumer Council

Events and Expos about Studying Overseas

There are also regular events in Hong Kong organised by local and overseas organisations and institutions where you can find out more about studying overseas. An example of such major events is the Education and Careers Expo organised by the Hong Kong Trade Development Council. The Expo features booths and displays by both local and overseas institutions and includes seminars, video shows and education forums.

More on the Education and Careers Expo

Choosing an Overseas Course or Programme

When it comes to the decision about choosing an overseas course or programme, you should:

  • be cautious when applying, especially if the procedure involves depositing a large down payment as registration or tuition fees;
  • check the reputation of your chosen institution with the respective Consulates or Commissions of the countries concerned or non-profit-making organizations;
  • find out whether you will be able to move to another institution in the same country if the need arises and in what circumstances any fees paid would be refundable;
  • the only organisation in Hong Kong that can provide entry permits to the country you plan to study in is the immigration department or consulate of that country. Therefore no connection can be established between making a payment to a travel agency or other agencies and being subsequently granted a visa.
Consumer Guide for Studying Abroad (available in Chinese only)

The following link provides a summary of overseas government offices or organisations in the UK, the USA, Australia, Canada and New Zealand that provide services for international students.

A list of consulates, commissions/non-profit-making organisations of different countries

Preparations for Meeting Admission Requirements

There are various admission tests and examinations which you may have to take for applying to overseas educational institutions. The Hong Kong Examinations and Assessment Authority (HKEAA) conducts a number of examinations on behalf of some overseas colleges, universities and examination bodies, including admission or matriculation examinations and language proficiency examinations.

Exams related to overseas studies conducted by HKEAA

You will usually be required to provide proof of your local public examination results. HKEAA offers past candidates the service of certification of examination results of some local public examinations. This service includes the issuance of documents such as statements of results, certification of results and certification for entering or participation in examinations.

Certification of public examination results


You can find various scholarship schemes offered by local and overseas organisations below.

Information about various scholarship schemesScholarship schemes administered by SFO
Last review date: September 2017
Found this page helpful?
Your feedback matters!
Thank you. Your input will only be  used to improve GovHK.