Study options for S5 & S7 students under the old academic structure

The New Academic Structure (NAS) has been implemented in September 2009. Under the NAS, all students have the opportunity to study up to Secondary 6. Students take only one public examination - the Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE) Examination at the end of the secondary education.

For Secondary 5 Graduates under the old academic structure

Sub-degree Programmes

S5 graduates may choose to study locally-accredited sub-degree programmes which best suit their abilities and interests.  Sub-degree programmes include Associate Degree and Higher Diploma. 

These programmes cover various disciplines to meet the needs of the students. When choosing sub-degree programmes, you should approach the institutions for details of the course contents, subjects offered, their articulation arrangements with other universities, etc.

Locally-accredited sub-degree programmes are recognised by the Government, many professional bodies and overseas tertiary institutions. Sub-degree holders can apply for publicly-funded senior year undergraduate places offered by University Grants Committee (UGC) funded institutions.

You can access EDB's dedicated website, iPASS for lists of locally-accredited self-financing post-secondary programmes.

Go to iPASS

Vocational and Professional Education and Training

Vocational and professional education and training (VPET) is one of the popular study options for S5 and S7 graduates. It has a broad scope covering various professions and equips youngsters with professional knowledge, practical skills and appropriate attitude. VPET is a valued choice of articulation and further studies. You may choose a programme according to your interests, abilities and career aspirations.

The Hong Kong Institute of Vocational Education (IVE) / The Hong Kong Design Institute (HKDI)

IVE and HKDI are the member institutions of the Vocational Training Council (VTC). They provide  a valued choice of education for post-secondary 5 and 7 students. IVE/HKDI courses cover the following academic disciplines:

  • Applied Science;
  • Business Administration;
  • Childcare, Elderly and Community Services;
  • Design;
  • Engineering;
  • Hotel, Service and Tourism Studies; and
  • Information Technology.

For course information and application details you can visit IVE's or HKDI’s websites.

More about IVEMore about HKDI

The VTC also offers pre-employment education and training programmes for school leavers through its other members institutions, including the Hotel and Tourism Institute, Chinese Culinary Institute, International Culinary Institute, the Maritime Services Training Institute, the Youth College and the 10 industry-specific Pro-Act Training and Development Centres.

You can browse VTC's website for more information.


Studying at VTC

Youth Employment and Training Programme (YETP)

YETP provides a platform of diversified training and job search with comprehensive pre-employment and on-the-job training opportunities for young school leavers aged 15 to 24 with educational attainment at sub-degree or below level to better understand themselves and their work aptitudes while enriching their job skills and experience so as to enhance their employability.

YETP offers a wide range of services such as pre-employment training, workplace attachment, on-the-job training, case management services, tailor-made training projects, etc.

More about YETP

Hong Kong Academy for Performing Arts (HKAPA)

If you are interested in performing arts theatre and entertainment arts, film and television, you may consider the programmes offered by the HKAPA, which cover Dance, Drama, Film and Television, Music, Theatre and Entertainment Arts, and Chinese Traditional Theatre. The programmes lead to different levels of academic awards. For more details you can refer to the link below.

Programmes offered by HKAPA

Other Study Options

Apart from the publicly-funded degrees programmes, S7 graduates also have other options for further studies such as:

Self-financing local sub-degree or degree programmesPost-secondary education offered by VTCYETP of Labour DepartmentProgrammes offered by HKAPA

Funding Your Further Studies

The Student Finance Office administers various schemes for full-time students.

Tertiary Student Finance Scheme – Publicly-funded ProgrammesFinancial Assistance Scheme for Post-secondary StudentsStudent Travel Subsidy for Tertiary or Post-secondary StudentsNon-Means-Tested Loan Scheme for Full-time Tertiary Students (NLSFT)Non-means-tested Loan Scheme for Post-secondary Students (NLSPS)Extended Non-Means-Tested Loan Scheme (ENLS)Financial Assistance for Secondary Students (for S5 graduates)

You can refer to the following article for the points to note when applying student financial assistances.

Points to Note When Applying Student Financial Assistances
Found this page helpful?
Found this page helpful?
Your feedback is highly appreciated.(optional)
Notice: This form is NOT intended for handling enquiries or complaints. For assistance, please contact the 24-hour Helpdesk at (852) 183 5500 or email to [email protected].
Thank you. Your input will only be  used to improve GovHK.
Last revision date: April 2021