Study Options for Adult Learners

Learning is a life long process. Here you can find both academic and vocational courses for adult learners.

Academic Training

Self-financing Local Programmes


Many local institutions provide programmes ranging from sub-degree to degree levels. But only locally-accredited post-secondary programmes are recognised by the Government and some professional bodies. You can go to EDB's dedicated website, iPASS, to search for the accredited programmes.

Go to iPASS

Non-local Higher & Professional Courses

Many overseas higher and professional institutions also offer programmes in Hong Kong. These programmes are subject to local regulation. To protect your interests as a consumer, be sure to check out whether the programmes have been registered with the Government or exempted from registration. Check out details of these courses, their fees and other handy information on the link below.

More about non-local higher and professional courses

Financial Assistance Scheme for Designated Evening Adult Education Courses (FAEAEC)

Financial assistance is provided to adult learners attending evening secondary courses (Secondary 1 to 6) offered by the Approved Course Provider in designated centres. Eligible students under the FAEAEC may receive full, 30% or 50% reimbursement of the tuition fees paid. Check out the following link for details.

More about FAEAEC

Diploma Yi Jin

Many learning programmes require applicants to have certain level of education.  Adults aged 21 or above can enroll on the Diploma Yi Jin programme to acquire the qualification.  The Hong Kong Council for Accreditation for Academic and Vocational Qualifications has assessed and confirmed that the exit standard of the Diploma Yi Jin programme is deemed comparable to the attainment of Level 2 standard in five subjects including Chinese Language and English Language in the Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education Examination.  Find more information on the link below.

More about Diploma Yi JinFinancial Assistance Arrangement for Diploma Yi Jin students

Vocational Training

Institute of Professional Education and Knowledge (PEAK)

PEAK is a member institution of the Vocational Training Council (VTC). It provides courses that are specially designed for working people to attain professional and academic qualifications, and cover a wide scope of professions such as financial services, management, information technology, languages and communication, food safety, construction and real estate. In addition, PEAK also provides corporate training service to local and Mainland corporations.

More about PEAK and their programmes

Vocational Training Council (VTC)

The VTC also offers various part-time courses through its other member institutions to meet the diverse education needs of the working adults and to suit the developing needs of Hong Kong. More details are available on the link below.

Lifelong Learning at VTC

Qualifications Framework

The Qualifications Framework (QF) initiated by the Education Bureau aims to help Hong Kong people set clear goals and directions for continuous upgrading through life-long learning to obtain quality-assured qualifications. In this context, a web-based Qualifications Register (QR) is now made available to the public whereby you can look up for information on quality-assured qualifications with the associated learning programmes and providers recognised under QF.

More about Qualifications FrameworkMake online enquiry through Qualification Register

Funding Further Education

Continuing Education Fund (CEF)

The CEF subsidises adult learners who enrol in reimbursable education and training courses. Eligible applicants may submit an unlimited number of claims for reimbursement of fees on successful completion of the courses up to a maximum sum of $20,000. Check out the link below for eligibility criteria, application procedures and reimbursable course list.

More about CEF

Non-means-tested Loan Scheme (NLS)

Students who are not eligible for assistance under the Tertiary Student Finance Scheme – Publicly-funded Programmes and the Financial Assistance Scheme for Post-secondary Students may apply for the NLS loan to meet their tuition fees. Check out the link below for more information such as the eligible courses and course providers.

Details of NLS
Found this page helpful?
Found this page helpful?
Your feedback is highly appreciated. (Optional)
Notice: This form is NOT intended for handling enquiries or complaints. For assistance, please contact the 24-hour Helpdesk at (852) 183 5500 or email to
Thank you. Your input will only be used to improve GovHK.
Last revision date: April 2022
Government, Law & Order Survey Close Button Government, Law & Order Survey