While you may be annoyed about losing your personal identification documents, you may be relieved to learn that it only takes simple steps to obtain the replacements of these documents. Here you can learn about how to report loss and apply for replacement of Hong Kong identity card and HKSAR travel document.
Report Loss and Replace Your Identity Card
If you lose your Hong Kong identity card, you are required to notify the Immigration Department within 14 days and apply for a replacement card.
All Registration of Persons Offices are using a quota system. To save your time, you should consider booking an appointment through the telephone booking system at (852) 2598 0888 or online. The appointment booking period for application of Hong Kong identity card at Registration of Persons Offices is 24 working days.
- Online appointment booking for Hong Kong smart identity cardhttp://www.gov.hk/en/residents/immigration/idcard/hkic/bookregidcard.htm
There is no separate form for applying for a replacement identity card and you should use the same application form as applying for a Hong Kong identity card. You may download the relevant form from the link below.
- Download Hong Kong identity card application formshttp://www.immd.gov.hk/en/forms/hkid.html
If you recover your card after applying for a replacement it should be surrendered to any Registration of Persons Office or police station.
The type of supporting documents you need when applying for a replacement identity card will depend on your age:
- Those aged under 18 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian, who must produce his / her identity card and proof of legal guardianship, if appropriate.
- Those aged under 11 must also produce the proof of identity such as valid travel document / passport / recent school documents (e.g. student hand book or school record card) with a certified photograph; and one recent photograph (50 x 40 mm full face photograph) if the child is not taller than 90 cm.
- More on supporting documents for those aged under 18http://www.gov.hk/en/residents/immigration/idcard/hkic/appu18.htm#documents
The fee for applying for a replacement of identity card due to loss is HK$335.
Application for Replacement of HKSAR Travel Documents due to Loss
If you lose your HKSAR travel documents in Hong Kong, namely HKSAR passport, Document of Identity for Visa Purposes, Re-entry Permit or Seaman’s Identity Book, you should report the loss to the Immigration Department.
You should submit your replacement application in person at any Immigration Branch Offices. You may book an appointment through the telephone booking system at (852) 2598 0888 or online.
- Immigration Branch Offices for travel document applicationshttp://www.gov.hk/en/residents/immigration/traveldoc/immigrationoffices.htm
- Online appointment booking for applying travel documentshttp://www.gov.hk/en/residents/immigration/traveldoc/hksarpassport/booktraveldoc.htm
If you lost your HKSAR passport or HKSAR Document of Identity for Visa Purposes while travelling abroad, you should immediately report the loss to the local police and request a copy of the police report. With the documentary proof of the loss, you may contact the Chinese diplomatic and consular mission in that country and request for replacement of travel document. You may also contact the Assistance to Hong Kong Residents Unit of the Immigration Department through the 24-hour hotline (852) 1868 for assistance. The Immigration Department will provide you with information and assistance regarding the processing of travel document.
If you are a Hong Kong resident and have lost your Hong Kong identity card and Home Visit Card while travelling in the Mainland, you should immediately report the loss to the public security authorities and obtain documentary proof of that report. With the documentary proof, you may approach the entry and exit department of the Public Security Bureau in the Mainland or the China Travel Service office in Shenzhen for the issue of an Entry and Exit Permit to facilitate your departure from the Mainland. You may also contact the Assistance to Hong Kong Residents Unit of the Immigration Department through the 24-hour hotline (852) 1868 for assistance. The Immigration Department will provide information and advice according to your situation
- Chinese Diplomatic and Consular Missionshttp://www.fmprc.gov.cn/eng/wjb/zwjg/default.htm
- How to apply for the HKSAR travel documentshttp://www.gov.hk/en/residents/immigration/traveldoc/
- Assistance to Hong Kong Residents Travelling Outside Chinese Territoryhttp://www.gov.hk/en/residents/immigration/outsidehk/assisttravel.htm
- Assistance to Hong Kong Residents in the Mainlandhttp://www.gov.hk/en/residents/immigration/outsidehk/assistmainland.htm
Last review date: March 2012