All Hong Kong residents aged 11 or over are required to register for an identity card, except those who are exempted or excluded. Here you can find information on Hong Kong identity cards, including how to apply for a new or replacement card, what to do if you need to apply for a certificate showing the particulars registered in your identity card, how to apply for exemption from registering for an identity card, how to make an appointment booking for identity card application and where to go for further information.
The Smart Identity Card
Hong Kong identity cards are issued in the form of smart cards. The following link will take you to information on the features and benefits of the smart identity card, your obligations when you hold a smart identity card and where to find a list of frequently asked questions about the smart identity card.
- Information on the smart identity cardhttp://www.gov.hk/en/residents/immigration/idcard/hkic/smartid.htm
Registration / Replacement of an Identity Card
All Hong Kong residents aged 11 years or over are required to register for an identity card. The following link will take you to information on registering for or replacing an identity card and the circumstances under which you will need to apply for a permanent identity card if you are abroad.
- Registration / Replacement of an identity cardhttp://www.gov.hk/en/residents/immigration/idcard/hkic/registreplace.htm
Application for Certificate of Registered Particulars or Certificate of Exemption
The following link will take you to information on what to do if you need to apply for a certificate showing the personal particulars registered in your identity card record or to apply for exemption from registering for an identity card due to old age, blindness or illness.
- Application for Certificate of Registered Particulars or Certificate of Exemptionhttp://www.gov.hk/en/residents/immigration/idcard/hkic/appforcert.htm
Online Appointment Booking for Identity Card Application
The appointment booking period for application of Hong Kong identity card at Registration of Persons Offices is 24 working days. Applicants are advised to make prior appointment before they come to our offices for services.
You can book an appointment online for an identity card application. The following link will take you to an overview of the service, including who can use it, how to use it and the supporting documents required.
- Information on the Online Appointment Booking Servicehttp://www.gov.hk/en/residents/immigration/idcard/hkic/bookregidcard.htm
No fees are payable for identity card registrations for new arrivals and people reaching the age of 11 or 18, and for Certificates of Exemption. However, fees are charged for the replacement of identity cards and for Certificates of Registered Particulars. Further information is available through the following link.
- Fees payablehttp://www.gov.hk/en/residents/immigration/idcard/hkic/fees.htm
Where to Apply
Applications for identity cards may be made at any one of the five Registration of Persons Offices. Information on the locations of these offices, their opening hours and telephone numbers are available through the following link.
- Information on where to applyhttp://www.gov.hk/en/residents/immigration/idcard/hkic/whereapply.htm
Frequently Asked Questions
The following link will take you to frequently asked questions about Hong Kong identity cards, Certificate of Registered Particulars, Certificate of Exemption and the online appointment booking service.
- Frequently asked questionshttp://www.gov.hk/en/residents/immigration/idcard/hkic/faqs.htm
Forms related to Hong Kong identity cards are downloadable through the following link.
- Public formshttp://www.immd.gov.hk/en/forms/hkid.html
Last review date: March 2012