Skip to main content   Skip to search box   Skip to user groups
User Groups

Main Content

You can apply for a Certificate of Entitlement from overseas countries, the Macao Special Administrative Region (Macao SAR) or Taiwan only if you reside there. Here you can find out about general eligibility criteria for a Certificate of Entitlement, the application form you should use, the supporting documents needed, how to submit your application and where to find further information.


You will be eligible to apply for a Certificate of Entitlement if you are of Chinese nationality and were born outside Hong Kong to a parent who, at the time of your birth, was:

  • A Chinese citizen born in Hong Kong before or after the establishment of the HKSAR; or
  • A Chinese citizen who has ordinarily resided in Hong Kong for a continuous period of not less than seven years before or after the establishment of the HKSAR.

Application Form

The application form (ID881) is available through the following link. If you are under 18 years of age, your application must be signed by your parent or legal guardian. Please complete the form in English or Chinese, in black or blue ink.

Supporting Documents

In general, the following documents are required:

  • Your birth certificate;
  • Paper(s) showing your immigration status at your place of residence; 
  • Your valid travel document(s);   
  • Your parents’ Hong Kong permanent identity card(s); and
  • Your parents’ marriage certificate (if any).

You may still be required to submit further supporting documents and information in connection with your application. Genetic testing may also be required. Information on genetic test arrangements is available through the following link.


You will need to affix one recent photograph of yourself to the box marked on the first page of the application form. The size of the photograph must not be larger than 55mm x 45mm and not smaller than 50mm x 40mm. The photograph should be taken full face and without a hat. 

How and Where to Submit Your Application Form

If you are residing overseas, you should submit your completed application form through the Chinese diplomatic and consular mission in the country or territory where you are residing, or by post to the Director of Immigration at the following address.

Certificate of Entitlement Section
Immigration Tower
7 Gloucester Road
Wan Chai, Hong Kong

If you are residing in the Macao Special Administrative Region or Taiwan, you should submit your application by post.

Further Information

More information on applying for a Certificate of Entitlement is available through the following link.

Back to top

Last review date: March 2010

  • Level Double-A conformance, W3C WAI Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0
  • Web Accessibility Conformance
  • This website is IPv6 enabled
  • Web Accessibility Recognition Scheme
  • Hong Kong ICT Awards 2009 - Best Public Service Application (Website) Silver Award
  • Web Care Award 2011-13 - Ruby Award
  • Web Marketing Association's WebAward 2012 - Standard of Excellence Award
  • Interactive Media Awards 2011 - Best in Class Award (Government)
  • Interactive Media Awards 2012 - Best in Class Award (Government)
End of Page