Skip to main content   Skip to search box   Skip to user groups
User Groups

Main Content

The Government provides a wide variety of social services and benefits to the elders, including Community Care and Support Services, Residential Care Services and Social Security. Combined with non-governmental support services, these measures ensure that the elders receive the help they need.

Community Care and Support Services

Both the District Elderly Community Centres and the Neighbourhood Elderly Centres satisfy the needs of the elders in terms of education, development, carer support, outreaching and networking, counselling, meals, referrals and drop-in services.

The elders can also enroll in the social and recreational activities organised by the Social Centres for the Elderly to make better use of their leisure time and build social networks.

To meet the special needs of senior citizens who are physically weak, Day Care Centres/Units for the Elderly and Enhanced Home and Community Care Services and Integrated Home Care Services offer centre-based and home-based community care services respectively.

Residential Care Services

The elders who lack care and assistance at home can enjoy residential care services for accommodation, personal care, health maintenance and social networking. There are different kinds of residential care homes to meet different care needs of the elders.

Central Waiting List for Subsidised Long Term Care Services

Since November 2003, the Social Welfare Department has implemented a Central Waiting List for subsidised long-term care services. To apply for subsidised long-term care services, applicants will need to undertake a standardised assessment to confirm their needs and matched them with appropriate services.

Social Security and Benefits

Elders can apply for various social security schemes. The Social Security Allowance Scheme provides a monthly allowance to Hong Kong residents aged 65 or above, or who are severely disabled.

Elders in financial difficulty can also apply for the Comprehensive Social Security Assistance (CSSA) to meet their basic needs. Elderly CSSA recipients meeting the prescribed criteria who choose to retire permanently in Guangdong or Fujian provinces can continue to receive cash assistance under the Portable CSSA Scheme.

All Hong Kong residents aged 65 or above can apply for a Senior Citizen Card to enjoy various social benefits such as concessions, discounts and priority services offered by the Government, public organisations and private or commercial establishments.

Other Social Services for the Elderly

Besides the Government, a number of non-governmental and community service organisations provide support, such as the 24-hour emergency alarm system that enables elderly people in danger to speak to an operator.


For enquiries, please contact the Hotline of Social Welfare Department on (852) 2343 2255.

Back to top

Last review date: February 2016

  • Level Double-A conformance, W3C WAI Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0
  • Web Accessibility Conformance
  • This website is IPv6 enabled
  • Web Accessibility Recognition Scheme
  • Web Care Award 2011-13 - Ruby Award
  • Web Marketing Association's WebAward 2015 - Standard of Excellence Award
  • Interactive Media Awards 2015 - Best in Class Award (Government)
End of Page