Green Shopping Tips
The Importance of Shopping Wisely
In Hong Kong, more than 14,000 tonnes of waste are disposed of at landfill every day, adversely impacting our environment. In fact, all this “disposed of waste” can largely be reused, recycled and recovered. You can make a big change by being environmentally conscious when shopping. For instance, we can implement the waste reduction principles in our daily lives, including waste reduction at source, reuse, recycle, recover and disposal.
Implementing “green shopping tips” will not only save our resources and protect our environment, but also save money, a win-win solution that we should strive for! Below are some green shopping tips for reference.
Be environmentally conscious when shopping. Buy items that are actually needed.
- Prepare a shopping list before buying so as to avoid purchasing more than needed.
- Family-sized product has less packaging and costs less.
- Buy products with minimal packaging that can reduce wasting resources.
- Reuse the packaging materials, such as plastic bag, paper bag, plastic box, paper, ribbon, etc.
- Implement Clean Recycling practices for recyclable packaging materials.
- When buying, use an environmentally friendly shopping bag instead of a plastic bag.
When Buying Food and Drinks
When buying food and drinks, don’t be a “Big Waster” !
- Bring your own container for drinks and food.
- Before recycle, think twice whether they can be reused.
- “Think before you buy food”, “Think before you cook”, “Think before you order food”, “If you can’t finish your food, don’t waste it”.
- Cut down on take-away food which usually uses non-recyclable materials.
- Use durable tableware instead of disposable ones such as foam container, plastic cutlery, paper cup and wooden chopsticks.
- Buy drinks contained in plastic or glass bottles which can be recycled.
- Avoid buying tetra pack drinks which do not have recyclable outlets locally cannot be recycled.
Buy food that has less impact on the environment.
- Buy fresh local food which consumes less energy and hence less pollution.
- Buy organic food as it reduces pollution (Certified organic standards do not permit the use of toxic chemicals in farming and require responsible management of healthy soil and biodiversity.).
- Do not buy products containing endangered animal parts or plants.
When Buying Daily Necessities
We can choose or make environmentally friendly products to minimize the impact.
- Buy ant or cockroach traps instead of fluorocarbon sprays to minimize pollution.
- Avoid using products containing ozone depleting substances.
- Use rechargeable battery instead of non-rechargeable battery because they can be recycled.
- Mixing of vinegar and baking soda in water can produce a cleaning agent.
- Use handkerchiefs instead of tissues.
When Buying Clothes
The process of manufacturing clothing will generate pollution.
- Choose clothes that do not crease easily, thus saving energy from ironing.
- Donate unwanted clothes to charity organizations or people in need.
When Buying Electrical Appliances
When buying electrical appliances, choose product such as refrigerator, air-conditioner, washing machine, dryer, etc with Grade 1 Energy Efficiency Label, hence saving energy. We can also donate the waste electrical appliances to charity organizations or the people in need.
More on Source Separation of Domestic WasteMore on Food Wise Hong KongMore on Voluntary Energy Efficiency Labelling SchemeMore on Mandatory Energy Efficiency Labelling SchemeMore on E-waste Collection Hotline & District-based E-waste Collection ServiceMore on the proper ways of “Clean Recycling”More on Collection Points for Recyclable Materials