Skip to main content   Skip to search box   Skip to user groups
User Groups

Main Content

There are various ways that you can lodge complaints about pollution. Here you can find out how your complaints can help to protect the environment, how to lodge a complaint and how to check the progress of your complaint.

How Your Complaints can help

Everyone in the community can play a role in protecting the environment. One of the easiest and most effective ways of doing this is to lodge a complaint about a pollution incident with the Environmental Protection Department. Prompt reporting means that quick action can be taken to solve the problem, and we all benefit. The Department responds to all complaints within 3 working days.

How to Lodge a Complaint

Depending on the subject of your complaint, there are different ways in which you can lodge it.

You can report general pollution incidents, including air pollution, indiscriminate waste water discharge, illegal waste disposal and noise from an industry or business, through the following link.

You can report smoky vehicles through the following link.

You can also report pollution through the Environmental Protection Department's Customer Service Centre at 2838 3111 or by mail to one of the Department's Regional Offices.

CSC Hotline Service Hours:
8:30am - 6:30pm on Mon-Fri
Voice mail service is provided for non-office hours

If domestic noise is causing a problem during night time from 11:00 pm to 7:00 am, you can lodge a complaint on the Police Force website or call your local police station.

Enquiry on environmental matters may be sent to

For other complaints (such as littering from vehicles and hygiene problems), please call the 1823 or use the following link.

Checking the Progress of a Complaint

Once you have lodged a complaint there are a number of ways that you can check on its progress, or provide new information.

To check the progress of a smoky vehicle complaint, please contact the Environmental Protection Department's Customer Service Centre at 2838 3111 or enquire by mail to:

Mobile Source Group
Environmental Protection Department
Room 3402, 34th Floor
Revenue Tower
5 Gloucester Road

To provide further information about a pollution incident you have already reported, go to the following page. Make sure that you have ready the Electronic Submission Reference Number and Password that you received when you originally lodged the complaint.

To check the progress of a complaint lodged online, go to the following page. Again, you should have your Electronic Submission Reference Number and Password ready.

Back to top

Last review date: January 2014

  • Level Double-A conformance, W3C WAI Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0
  • Web Accessibility Conformance
  • This website is IPv6 enabled
  • Web Accessibility Recognition Scheme
  • Hong Kong ICT Awards 2009 - Best Public Service Application (Website) Silver Award
  • Web Care Award 2011-13 - Ruby Award
  • Web Marketing Association's WebAward 2012 - Standard of Excellence Award
  • Interactive Media Awards 2011 - Best in Class Award (Government)
  • Interactive Media Awards 2012 - Best in Class Award (Government)
End of Page