Environment Related Activities
The success of environmental protection in Hong Kong hinges on your participation. Here you can learn about the Government's educational activities for environmental awareness, the Environmental Campaign Committee and the Green Hong Kong Campaign.
Activities Related to Environmental Protection
The Government conducts publicity campaigns and educational programmes throughout the year to increase environmental awareness of the public, and to show the importance of public involvement. These activities include competitions, recycling days and training programmes that focus on municipal solid waste, recycling, tree protection, environmental awareness in primary schools and environmentally friendly property management.Latest events and activities
Environmental Campaign Committee
The Environmental Campaign Committee is a collection of dignitaries from the educational and academic fields, business and industrial sectors, and green groups who are appointed by the Chief Executive, and representatives from government departments. Since 1990, this group has provided advice to the Government and promoted public awareness of environmental issues. It also organises and coordinates many environment-related activities and programmes, such as:
- The Hong Kong Awards for Environmental Excellence
- The Hong Kong Green Organisation Certification
- World Environment Day
- Student Environmental Protection Ambassador Scheme
- Hong Kong Green School Award
- Promotion Programme on Source Separation of Waste
- Waste Separation and Recycling Scheme in Schools
Green Hong Kong Campaign
The Green Hong Kong Campaign, managed by the Leisure and Cultural Services Department, aims to promote greening in the community and enhance public awareness of environmental issues through a series of education and community involvement programmes.
The education programmes currently underway include:
- Horticulture courses at the Greening Education and Resource Centre in Kowloon Park.
- Greening exhibitions and talks at the Greening Education and Resource Centre to enhance public awareness of greening and the need for environmental protection.
- The Greening School Subsidy Scheme for environmental improvement in schools.
- The distribution of horticultural pamphlets to schools.
Various community involvement activities are organised to encourage involvement from the community, such as:
- The Hong Kong Flower Show in Victoria Park.
- Greening Hong Kong Activities Subsidy Scheme.
- Green Volunteer Scheme.
- Community Planting Day.
- Community Garden Programme.
- Best Landscape Award
Full details of these activities are available online.More on the Green Hong Kong Campaign