Mobile Government Services
With a population attuned to the latest technologies, the Government sees great potential in applying mobile technology to the delivery of government information and services. Here is the government vision and a few examples of the initiatives undertaken by different government entities.
The m-Government Vision
The Government is committed to ensuring that everyone in Hong Kong benefits from the latest developments in mobile technology. With support from the Government, the Hong Kong Wireless Technology Industry Association has established a wireless development centre to promote the development, testing and marketing of innovative applications and services.
The Government Wi-Fi Programme (GovWiFi) is one of the major government initiatives to develop Hong Kong into a wireless city. Free wireless Internet access services are provided to citizens by installing Wi-Fi facilities at designated government premises throughout all 18 districts in Hong Kong. These premises include public libraries, public enquiry service centres, sports centres, cultural and recreational centres, cooked food markets and cooked food centres, job centres, community halls, major parks and government buildings and offices.More on Government Wi-Fi Programme (GovWiFi)
In its own service delivery, the Government now provides a range of information for users of mobile devices, covering traffic, weather, air quality health index and news, etc. Some examples of popular government information available to people on the go are outlined below.
GovHK Mobile Applications
Several mobile applications (apps) have been launched to enhance e-Government services and communication with the public through the mobile platform.
- GovHK Notifications provides you with a convenient channel to receive important government information and alerts (e.g. special traffic information, outbound travel alerts, weather warnings) with your mobile devices. A webpage version is also available for viewing messages sent to the app in the last 7 days.
- GovHK Apps allows you to search for and download government mobile apps conveniently and securely.
- EventHK provides a one-stop platform for you to easily find public events organised by government departments or held at government venues.
Live Traffic Information for Mobile Devices
The Transport Department provides live traffic information through a mobile website, with minimal use of text and graphics for quick loading. The site provides:
- Warnings about events that are causing trouble to traffic;
- Information on temporary traffic and transport arrangements;
- Estimated cross-harbour journey time; and
- CCTV snapshots of current traffic condition.
Real-Time Weather Information for Mobile Devices
For people interested in keeping track of local and regional weather, the Hong Kong Observatory offers a wealth of information on its mobile website, including:
- Local weather warnings, including typhoon signals;
- Comprehensive reports on regional weather in Hong Kong; and
- Local, mainland China and major world city weather forecasts.
Environment and Air Quality Health Risk Information for Mobile Devices
Besides news releases and updates on initiatives, the mobile website of the Environmental Protection Department provides the latest water quality grading of bathing beaches.Mobile Website for Environmental Information
Government News and Press Releases for Mobile Devices
Through the mobile version of its news.gov.hk website, the Government provides news for people on the move in a user-friendly format.Mobile Version of News and Press Releases
Other Government Mobile Websites and Apps
Here on GovHK, you can find a full list of Government mobile websites and apps.Government Mobile WebsitesGovernment Mobile Apps