As a fusion of East and West, Hong Kong is enriched with cultural heritage for you to explore. Here you can find the places to go where you can dig into the territory’s historical background and cultural diversity.
Learning about Hong Kong History
The Hong Kong Museum of History takes you through the journey of Hong Kong’s development from a tiny fishing village to one of Asia’s most dynamic cities. The Museum has built up a collection of over 70,000 items on local history, ranging from handicrafts to industrial products.
- More on Hong Kong Museum of Historyhttp://hk.history.museum/en_US/web/mh/collections/collections/local.html
Heritage and Monuments
Take a stroll down the memory lane by hitting one of our heritage trails or visiting our monuments. You can get a dose of history in the city centre by exploring the heritage buildings among skyscrapers, or journey to the countryside to experience the cultural life of Hong Kong along the heritage trails.
- More on heritage and related museumshttp://www.gov.hk/en/residents/culture/museum/museums/heritagemuseum.htm
- Heritage and monumentshttp://www.gov.hk/en/residents/culture/recreation/#/en/residents/culture/museum//
Cultural Landscape through Museums
There are numerous museums in Hong Kong giving you a good insight into Hong Kong’s art and cultural landscape through display of collections and large-scale exhibitions. When planning your visit, check out the portals of Hong Kong public museums and other museums below.
- Hong Kong Public Museumshttp://www.museums.gov.hk/en_US/home
- Other museums in Hong Konghttp://hk.history.museum/en_US/web/mh/about-us/link.html
Hong Kong History in a Nutshell
To study Hong Kong history and social development in details, you could read through chapter 21 of the Hong Kong Yearbook below.
- Hong Kong Yearbook 2010 – Historyhttp://www.yearbook.gov.hk/2010/en/
Last review date: June 2012